Thursday, February 14, 2008

Trial run

I started my TIP research project data collection yesterday (AP Chemistry) and today (AP Physics) by getting my students collaborating online on one or two free response questions. However, a number of problems came to light and so I took these days as a trial run.

Here are the problems and my proposed modifications:
  1. Short periods for group collaboration and individual testing on the same day --> Shorten the group and individual times from 30 min. to 25 min.
  2. Google Docs lacks the ability to draw --> Direct students to Paint in Windows
  3. Google Docs lacks the ability to cut and paste images --> Direct students FastStone Capture for screen capture.
  4. Windows Calculator lacks important mathematical functions --> Direct students to
  5. Surveys of student mastery lack needed information to help with record-keeping --> Add fields for date, name, topic of free response questions, and number of survey (i.e. first, second, third).
  6. I need to reserve computer labs far in advance of research --> Reserve now.

Additional notes:
  • I need to control the question length for each cycle of collaboration and testing. I will control the College Board point values to a reasonable number for each cycle. In other words, the students should have approximately equal number of points possible on any given set of questions given to them in an individual cycle. The numbers of questions might very but the number of points possible should remain constant, as possible.

2 comments:

harrismmsu said...

Looks like you have already put a great deal of thought into making positive changes. As I said to Paul, I think this is one of the greatest things about the "teaching" and doing research at the same time, since with teaching you are able to make the adaptations as you see you need them.

Stephanie_Richardson said...

WOW! We need you here in my district! I'm really looking forward to seeing what you find out and what your perceptions on the "experiment" are. Do the students receive the same type of guidance/assistance with the online as offline collaboration? It would seem like online would be a natural way to ensure they had the resources they really needed, in addition to one another... where offline they would be responsible for collecting up the resources before starting... so online would seem "better". Another question I'd have - are the (or do they perceive they are) more LIKELY to collaborate offline or online - would they be more likely to put it off if it were not face to face? Hmmmm! Like I said, can't wait to discuss it with you more!